Dairy free, Gluten free, Low Carb and totally YUM!
2/3 cup Walnutter Walnut Kernels
1.5 tablespoon organic gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 free range egg
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
2 teaspoons Walnutter Walnut Milk*
(or your preferred non-dairy milk)
Olive oil or other premium vegetable oil for frying, to keep the pancakes from sticking
1. Grind the walnuts in a blender or food processor until they are grounded into a flour consistency.
2. Add the ground walnuts to a medium-sized bowl along with the other dry ingredients. Mix them together until well combined.
3. Add the egg, vanilla, and sweetener of your choice to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine fully. The batter should be sticky.
4. Blend in the walnut milk and stir again until all the ingredients are combined and the batter has thinned slightly.
5. Heat a pan or skillet over low to medium heat. When warm, add some vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
6. Portion the batter out into three even circles. Cook uncovered for around 6 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
7. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes until they look mostly done.
8. Turn the pan off and cover. Let sit two minutes to finish cooking.
9. For a healthy breakfast serve with fresh local berries or your favourite topping!
These low-carb pancakes contain healthy fats, vitamins and minerals from the walnuts - including plant omegas. They are also low in processed sugar.
They are easy to make and freeze well.
To defrost, use the microwave, an oven on low heat, or allow them to defrost on the counter and warm them on a skillet over low heat.