Walnutter Easter Buns
Using fresh local apples with our crunchy Walnutter walnuts these Easter Buns look great and are truly irresistible!
For the Buns:
• 1 1/3 cups milk - use plant based milk if preferred
• 40g organic butter, chopped
• 2 tsp (or 1 sachet / 7g) dried yeast
• 4 cups organic plain flour - you can use gluten-free
• 1/4 cup organic dark brown sugar
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 cups finely chopped organic apples
• 3/4 cup coarsely chopped Walnutter walnuts
• 1/2 cup organic Australian sultanas
• 1 free-range egg, lightly whisked
For the Crosses:
• 1/3 cup organic plain flour
• 1/4 cup cold water
For the Glaze:
• 1 tbs organic apricot jam
• 2 tsp water
• extra Walnutter Walnuts for decoration
Using a small saucepan combine the milk and butter and stir over low heat. Cook for 2 mins or until butter melts. Set aside to cool slightly. Add the yeast and whisk to combine.
Combine the flour, dark brown sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, apple, sultanas and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the milk mixture and egg. Stir until well combined.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins or until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to a bowl.
Cover the bowl with your preferred food wrap (plastic wrap alternative) or use a lid over the bowl. Place in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
Divide the dough into 20 even portions and roll each portion into a ball. Arrange side-by-side in concentric circles on the lined tray.
Loosely cover with your preferred food wrap (plastic wrap alternative) and place in a warm, draught-free place for 30 mins to rise.
To make the flour paste for the crosses, place flour in a bowl then simply stir in enough water to make a smooth paste.
Use a piping bag to make cross marks over the tops of the buns. Bake for 10 mins then reduce oven to 180°C.
Bake for a further 20 mins or until golden brown and the buns sound hollow when tapped on the base.
Transfer to a wire rack. Set aside for 10 mins to cool slightly.
Combine the jam and water in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Mix to combine. Brush over the buns while they are still warm.
Place a walnut on top of each bun. Serve warm with butter.
* We use Organic and local ingredients as much as possible.